miércoles, 22 de diciembre de 2010

Sleeping Woman Preparation Climb



On Friday, December 17th 2010, at 10:30pm, my cousin Roberto & I began our summit attack on Iztaccihuatal (Izta). We knew the hike would be long, we estimated an 11 hour trek to the summit. However things are never quite how you plan them out.

Halfway up the mountain Roberto really started to breakdown. His pace was very slow and from a distance I could see he was really struggling. I know Roberto pretty well, we have climbed together on numerous occasions and I know when at his best he is a fit and fast climber. This time around however, the mountain got the best of him.

At around 4800m we reached the Shelter and Robert passed out. He slept for about 4.5 hours. I managed to get a couple of hours of shuteye but after a while I started getting very impatient and cold. So I had a little team meeting with Robert and told him I was going to climb a little higher, I was pretty determined to get over 5000m. Man I tore it up! I climbed  like monster, fast and decisive, no breaks, no looking back. I got up to where I wanted, took a few shots and get the down ASAP. I went back to the shelter, got my partner who was feeling better and we began the long voyage home.



Although the expedition was not a success I must say it was beautiful. During the night we climbed with only the moonlight to guide us, no headlamps were necessary, Shooting stars & clear skies, the conditions were perfect. We witnessed one of the most gorgeous sunrises ever, tints of orange, red & purple lit the Eastern sky, adorned by three of Mexico´s most impressive peaks (Malinche, Perote and Orizaba). It was a sight to remember.



We did not reach the summit but we were on the mountain for about 15 hours, got over 5000m and to be honest, I felt great! My mind can only think of Aconcagua, of triumph and victory. Three weeks now to game day, Time has a life of it´s own, tic-toc, tic-toc.

On a different note, we will receive the Klymit gear on Monday, once I have it I will check it out and post some remarks about it, I am so excited!!

Our last Big climb before Aconcagua will take place January 8th 2011, we will be testing our new gear and attempting to climb the summit of Mexico for the 3rd time.

 Stay tuned….

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario